Group 3 Direct Instruction: Let's go to outer space!

Outer Planets! 
Group three's direct instruction was all about the outer planet. The outer planets are Jupiter, Saturn, Uranius, and Neptune. When I was younger Pluto used to be included in the outer planets, but now it is in a category all its own and is called a dwarf planet. Group three did a good job of covering all of the different planets. I really liked the texts that came in from Astronaut Annie to ask the students some review questions and to prompt them to write a letter describing the outer planets. I thought that was very creative. 
Image result for outer planetsI thought the Vortex game was very fun and engaging for the students as well. I think the students were excited to get up out of their seats to interact with the board. However, when the students were not working at the board, they were very loud. I think I would have tried to make the game seem more like a game show where the students in the audience could hold up numbers that corresponded with the planets so they were involved as well. I think it was good to have the students work in the small groups, but it was a bit hard to hear what the group in the front was saying and I think that is where the other students lost interest. 
The students verse teachers game Group Three had was a great idea as well. I wish it was used a bit more regularly and the teachers did not talk over each other when the students started to get loud. My group is going to be using a similar game, but instead of the students starting with five stars and the teachers starting with five stars, we will start our game with a clean slate for everyone. Once the lesson begins, anytime the teachers see the students doing something good or following directions, then the students will earn a star. When the teachers observe the students doing something they are not supposed to, then the teachers will earn a star. With the student only able to gain stars and not lose them, they will not feel discouraged by a star being taken away. 
I thought that Group Three's exit ticket was a very useful tool to understand what the students were understanding and what they needed more help with to understand. I like that the students had the opportunity to share what they had more questions about, what they really understood, and what they really did not understand. Many time the students only had the opportunity to answer one of these questions and if they understood some part of the lesson but not another they would not be able to express this. My group is going to use a similar activity with the students and I am excited to hear all of their feedback.       

Comments